You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Dear Friends,

You were with me on the ride home today. The whole time. The reasons are as follows:
  • Today, the Wednesday before the Thanksgiving holiday, I left my tall building downtown to walk into the first real snowfall of the season. Snow in the city is equally as beautiful as the quiet snow in the country. The buildings make the sky seem higher, and instead of "falling," the snow dances around as though it's in a snowglobe that never settles. In fact, at times it seems as though it's falling up. Once I got away from the buildings and into the residential area of south Minneapolis, the effect stopped and the snow simply fell. I feel as though this, too, is something that you would have noticed.

  • I read an essay about "homes" on the bus from a book of essays dedicated entirely to the concept of home.

  • Everyday on the north side of Chicago Ave., the bus drives by a sign on a building--I don't know what the building is--that has a picture of a carrot holding a gun. I'm serious. It looks like this:

You would've said, is that a CARROT holding a gun? What? Why? And I would've said, that's why not eating your vegetables will kill you.

Thanks for joining me on the ride home, guys. You, and the snow in the city is exactly what I needed today.

2 comments:

christina said...

1. Please lend me the essay book when finished;
2. Updrafts created by buildings will cause snow to blow up (this happens especially at the tops of buildings, like the Empire State Building, and interesting side note, did you know that in the summer sometimes the window washers working on the ESB will complain of being "pelted" with little grains and it is actually barley from open train cars far outside the city that get caught on the wind and rain down on the workers at that height?;
3. Yes, I have been reading about the ESB while at work again;
4. Carrot with a gun is awesome.

Happy t-day to you, then, and have a good time at home. I will make carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and eat it while thinking Oh man, Jeano would love this cake.

Chad said...

Holy crap. So, Lizard just dropped off the results of Operation: Bake. Sweet mother LORD, these baked goods defy description. It was exactly, exactly what I needed that day. Favorties include that boozy fudge (you can SMELL the booze) the cinnamon cookies and the apply stuff.

Clearly the tryptophan has diluted my descriptive skills. Thanks so much, Jeano. And Gun Carrot can hang out any time he wants.