You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

I am awesome-o.

I thought I might die running the 10K on Saturday.

But yesterday, I did a dry 10K around Calhoun. Twice around Calhoun. And it's been a long time since I've gone for that long, but I owned that shit! I know it doesn't sound very exciting, but it felt good. It felt good even though my knee sort of went out and I had to go buy a knee brace for it, it felt good even though it hurt.

Take that, winter poundage! I ran 6.2 miles straight yesterday with only stopping to go to the bathroom after 3 and a half miles! I was worried about myself. There were many days in a row this past summer/fall/winter where I went days without even a little jog. I went once this summer and threw up lettuce next to a tree on Lake Nokomis. There were even a couple of weeks in the cold, cold winter where the only time I put on my running shoes was to go to Target to buy some cookies. But yesterday I felt like a runner again--finally.

Now. Let's see how things go on Saturday. Let's see if I can stay a runner. It wasn't easy, but it was awesome. I'm taking a two day break, and Saturday morning--that 40 degree Saturday coming up--I'm gonna finish in the top half. I'm not gonna walk, and I'm gonna beat my last time of 1 hr. 8 minutes. Sure, I've really only trained for two weeks, but my body is sort of like: fine. Let's do this.

*

Today I went down to Rochester for my orientation meeting. I'll be in a middle school classroom in May already, doing field experience, filling out rubrics, writing personal, detailed journals. They just throw you right in, huh? I'm one of six in this cohort group, the only English (CAL) person, and as far as I know, the only one with prior teaching experience. I've been warned to tell my loved ones that my time for the next year is going to be very occupied with this program. I'm so stoked. I'm filling out background checks on papers that have cute little public school logos, I'm registered for teaching workshops. All of this feels very right.

Just a couple of more weeks to get through and a lot of packing to do.

1 comment:

MM said...

Awesome on the 10k today! Good luck tomorrow!
And next year!
Cookies!
(Just needed another reason for an exclamation point.)

Wait, here's another reason for an exclamation point - I've been offered funding!
Finally!

(Ok, now I'm getting carried away.)