I drove home, back to Elgin, late last night after a long day with the Good Doctor at Valleyfair. It was a fast drive, but I was sick of my music. I started listening to the sad songs. It was a sad song sort of evening.
And I found, and I've decided on, the three songs I want played at my funeral.
I'm not dying, that I know of. I don't have any sickness, not even a cold or a canker sore, and I'm not thinking of offing myself or anything. (We'll save those feelings for when the school year starts.) But isn't this something that it might be okay to think of? Isn't it okay to think about the songs you want people to hear while they think of how your existance changed their own lives? And I don't have a will. The only things I have of value are---well, I have nothing of value. I have a guitar that needs the neck adjusted, and I have hundreds of books and old scratched vinyl (most of what technically belongs to my father) and enough clothes to clothe a small African nation, if they wear between a size 14 and 16. My TV probably won't work come February, and my parents would probably just throw my bed in the guest room we'll have once Craig finally moves out of the house. I just want to write this down in case something happens. Plus, I would assume that at my funeral you guys would read sections of my blog, for a laugh, or to let my sister know how often she drove me crazy so she can change her life for the better. Maybe she'll become a nurse. Or better yet, a non-smoker.
There are three songs that I command be played at my funeral. I'll let David choose the order.
1) "All Things Must Pass" --George Harrison.
2) "Life Without You" --Stevie Ray Vaughan.
3) "Moonlight Sonata" --Mr. Beethoven.
Sure, "Moonlight Sonata" is also the song I would someday like to have at my wedding, as I walk down the aisle. That's kind of weird, sure. It's also cool to love and die to the same song. To be "very in love" and "very dead" while the same song is playing.
Whatever. You're totally thinking of your own songs right now.
5 comments:
Jeano, there are no pictures of cute kittens as promised on this blog post. And where are the photos of us drowning ever-so-seductively in a sea of books?
Feed me! I mean, with pictures.
Ha ha! I can leave comments even after a three-year hiatus from blogdom. I'm like some sort of lame superhero.
Also: I have several times thought about how popcorn must be served at my funeral. You know, to brighten things up.
Jenny, your coffin will be filled with popcorn! Just like boxes are filled with foam peanuts.
I promise book pictures will come later. :)
I'd totally think about songs I want at my funeral, but now I'm nervous that those thoughts will infiltrate my thoughts on music for the wedding. :)
1. The Boxer -Simon & Garfunkel
2. Life on Mars? -Bowie
3. In the Garage -Weezer
These change all the time, but I'm pretty sure The Boxer will always be on this list.
Popcorn is fun, but since I want to be cremated, I'd really prefer to have everybody get shit faced and take home a scoop of my ashes.
Post a Comment