You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

They're much better at kissing (in public) than I am.

High school kids like to make out in the hallways. They only have five minutes between class, or what we call "passing time," and they turn four minutes of it into pinning each other in corners, getting close enough to smell rectangle-pizza breath, and opening their wet mouths and turning their heads too much as though they're experts. There is way too much passion in these kisses for such a short amount of time. And it's always the really short boys, too, the ones who are publicly affectionate with their girls. It's the boys with the baggy jeans, the big hoodies that have holes in the sleeves where the thumbs go, the Vans shoes, and the freckles, the freckles. They always have sharp smiles, corners of the mouth that come to a point instead of round. It gives them the look as though they are attacking. And the girls are the ones who hold their hands longer as they're trying to leave--that lingering palm to finger thing, as though the hour they spend apart in Chemistry and Spanish is far too long an hour.

Really, though, I do wonder--how do they think of anything else? That's what's really spectacular. Damn kids. You gotta love them for who they are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Jean. Sounds like school is going well. I don't want to comment on my present situation (out of fear that I'll jinx it). Heels? You HAVE to wear heels? Have you time traveled back to the 60s???

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I suggest you take a page from X's book: whenever you observe some adolescent spit-swapping, tonsil hockey, or, just to be thorough, CPR lessons, yell "HEY! CUT THAT SHIT OUT!" from wherever you happen to be. Including but not limited to mid-sentence while teaching a class.