You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

reasons I love teaching today

one: I said to A, after she said, I love your shoes! where do you get all those shoes! that: oh, thanks, I make all my shoes in my basement at home.

Really? said A. You know how to work with leather?

two: The students are doing group projects about parts of speech. The pronoun group is mad at me because "pronouns are really, really boring." I say to this: what? pronouns are amazing! yeah! go pronouns! they are so so cool! Yeah! And I punch the air a couple of times.

Then I bend over and give them this line in a totally different teacher persona:

Okay, guys. I'll be honest with you. A pronoun is really just the noun's ugly cousin. Like, a noun is all cute and flirty and then you look at a pronoun and she's frumpy and her teeth are weird and she has no social awareness.

And then I walk away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What! Pronouns aren't boring. Just ask a any two English or Linguistics majors whether "you" may ever be properly used as a third person pronoun and watch the drama fly.

Jean said...

I'm emailing Liz. I'll let you know.