You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Monday, April 19, 2010

A pinhole of light.

I'm not a fan of parent/teacher conferences--not because I hate meeting parents, but because they often require me to show up on days I'm supposed to have off. Or they make me work from 7 in the morning until 8 at night with little breaks, which in turn makes me want to die.

But, I actually do really like talking to parents. I'm actually pretty good at it, if I can pat myself on the back--because the parents who come are the ones who care and are willing to have an open dialogue. And I just like watching their faces as I say wonderful things about their kids. It feels good.

And, the little pinhole of goodness today came when I talked to J's mom. I'd emailed her last week to tell her how much he's improved in class (he's a special education student), and I told her that he wrote one of the strongest essays in all of my classes--it was just that good.

She said that she asked J to see the essay, and he said he'd lost it. But then he found it--and she said she hung it on the fridge, and they told J they were very proud of him. And then she said that J said I can't believe my teacher emailed you about that! And then that after he said that he said: I have to go do homework.

And then she said that he said I really think Ms. Prokott believes in me!

And when she told me that, I really teared up. In fact, I'm tearing up right now. I do! I do believe in him! He's amazing.

And the other parent, the one of the kid with the Mr. Clean speech, the one who will rock college so hard said to his mom, Mom, Ms. Prokott likes that I'm weird.

Almost makes the 14 hour day worth it, eh?

2 comments:

Chad said...

I think this post answers the question in the title of the April 15 post. I just hope you get enough of these moments to keep you going.

I MISS YOU. Come to Florida! For real.

Kristin said...

Okay I was going to say the exact same thing as Chad - this answers the title of your previous post!! (Great minds think alike, right Chad? Cherry vodka lately?)

I almost teared up too. It is things like that that make me love teaching. I also love teaching because I get to put the smack down on students who have been smarting off to me all quarter and now want leniency in turning in late work. HA!:)