You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Last night! Oh, it's the last night.

Leaving Hutchinson is very easy. Leaving anywhere is very easy when you spend so much time packing. You're just like: I want to get the fuck out of here. Get me out, now.

I'm taking a break from packing at the time--my landlord is showing the apartment. The more I clean it, the more I realize that my dad was sort of right when he called it a dump. It's just old, and old houses never feel like they're clean. I can scrub, scrub, scrub, and it still looks dirty.

But what really makes it easy to leave is the basement. Since I've started pulling boxes from the downstairs, I've realized a couple of things:

1) something is leaking, water, and it caused shit to fall from the ceiling, over a bunch of my shit--ruined my boots, destroyed the ottoman, made me glad I didn't have anything down there I'd be upset about losing;

2) mice, mice, mice, fucking fucking mice.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a little poo on the dryer, I swiped it away, convinced myself it was just a dark piece of lint. Then, with a box I'd brought upstairs, I noticed a little piece of poo; convinced myself it was leftover poo from when all of the things were in James' shed.

But when I started moving the boxes around, really, I found a whole lot of poo. There was a corner near the staircase where this mouse had just shit his brains out, and another corner that he'd turned into his personal toilet--or like a small grass field, if he were an entire herd of cattle. There was so much shit, it looked like someone had spilled a box of shit on the floor.

So, I convinced myself that the mouse had just been there in the winter, he and a couple of his friends had just decided to hang out because it was cold outside. I mean, there is nothing in the basement for him to eat, and there is absolutely no evidence of a mouse upstairs (not a poo to be found, praise the Lord) so it only makes sense that a mouse use the basement to stop from freezing to death. There's no mouse down here right now! I said stupidly to myself. It was months ago, and the poo is just still here! I mean, the basement must be an awesome place to shit for him. He just comes in to take a dump. Just like the special bathrooms Christina found at MSU so she could poo and nobody would bother her.

Lots of spiders, though. Loooots of spiders.

Nonetheless, whenever I went to grab a box for more packing, I still shoved the broom at it first. Like poking a sleeping dragon just to see what it does. Nothing ever ran out. Very little evidence of poo in the boxes, just mostly on the floor.

So the just-in-the-winter theory definitely worked.

But then, this morning, after I'd spent yesterday stabbing boxes and sweeping up shit, I went downstairs to put in a load of laundry. And there were three poops right there, on top of the washing machine. Poops that were definitely not there a couple days ago.

Who the fuck shits on a washing machine. There's plenty of floor to be had, but the little bastard has to shit on the washing machine. Just to be a fucker. Just to say hey, Jean, have fun being in the basement, because I'm not a winter mouse. I'm an all-year mouse. And I might be down here somewhere.

Little fucker.

So. Starting with Winona, I had: centipedes (at King Street), then in Mankato: centipedes at SW and centipedes/moths at Highland, then in Minneapolis: centipedes, then in Elgin: mice, and now in Hutchinson: mice.

I have to be honest, I'm pretty excited not to have a basement next year. Second floor, here I come. Please, vermin, leave me alone. You've made a stronger woman, but I just want to go back to being a girl.

No comments: