You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Jeano, the hypocrite, on Ash Wednesday.

Well, I know that three blog posts ago I went on a rant about people who lost weight and gained it back; how it's annoying and stupid when they talk about it. But then this morning, as I was doing a helfty song and dance to force my gladiator thighs into my favorite pants, I've come to the realization that--I've gained a couple of pounds.

Shit. Who knows how many pounds, really. I just know they're in the middle, and I think in the thighs. And talking about it, and putting it out here in blog-world that I've pudged up just a bit, makes me motivated to get back to where I was. And then some. So, I went running yesterday, and I went running today, and it felt good. Maybe, I'll even go running tomorrow. And maybe, maybe, I'll stop eating like a fucking moron. It's just been winter, and generally hard, you know? You know.

Anyway, I'm giving up candy for Lent. For the above mentioned reasons, and just so I can do it, and just so I can have control over something in my life right now when there are so many things I fear I have no control over. That's 40 days, starting today, without candy. No chocolate, no fruity, sugary treats. Not even cheating on Sundays, which Ryan once convinced me we were allowed to do.

So if any of you assholes think it might be funny to send me candy in the mail, or to buy me treats and wave them in front of my face--I may eventually forgive you. But I don't think God will.

4 comments:

Sethy Go Bragh! said...

I think that whole Sunday reprieve idea is somewhat universal--if not weak--because as kids we were all allowed kick the fast to the curb on Sundays. I bet it came out Vatican 2. Catholics; they're a shifty bunch.

Kristin said...

But we're having cake on my birthday!! FINE MORE FOR ME;) Miss you!

Chris said...

Jean, hang in there. I don't have any real answers. I've been kinda struggling with my own personal body image and crap too. Most people are dissatisfied with and want to change something(s) about their bodies. Hell, we have whole industries devoted to feeding into our manias. I never really enjoyed running, not even when I ran cross country in high school---I know, stupid, right---but you love to run. I've listened to you talk about it and was envious that you got pleasure from something I'd always seen as being a chore and that always seemed to culminate in side cramps and shin splints. I started going to the gym this year, FINALLY, and was turned on to the elliptical machine. It's been awesome. I actually enjoy it and try not to miss a day. Keep running because it's good for you, but also because you enjoy it. Be patient with yourself. No one's perfect, ask any of the neurotic contestants on those model wannabe reality shows and they'll bitch up a storm about their flaws and imperfections to the point you'd kill to have a "physical deformity" like theirs. It's difficult to see the changes in our bodies because we see ourselves on a daily basis. So try to step back as much as you can and remind yourself to be patient and dedicated to whatever exercise and eating regiment you find works best for you. If we both keep at it, the next time we see each other WE'LL surely see a difference. ---End of unsolicited advice.

MM said...

You are MY inspiration. This post made me run, as your posts often do.

But, sadly, it did not prevent me from finishing off the bag of candy my students didn't finish. Even if I took up this Lent thing, I'd still go for the chocolaty goodies—probably even more so, because then I'd be breaking the rules. And I'm just bad-ass like that.