You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. Not one single fuck.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Case of the Runs.

When I was out running on Monday a man with a teardrop-shaped body stood in his driveway and hollered a conversation at me. I pulled out my earbuds and he said have a good run! I said thanks, and he kept talking. I used to do that for 20 years, but I can't do it no more. Too old. I didn't know what to say so out came, well it's a good night for it and kept moving along.

For some reason my running pains are in the heel of my left foot. I've never had heel pain before. I couple of pains shot up my shins today, and my toes blister a bit at the end where they've hit the tips of my shoes, shoes that I've put over 400 miles on but keep because I can't afford new ones. The insides are worn down, some cushioning is missing.

I have no money this summer, no job, little motivation to do as much work as I should be doing. But I've been keeping up the running. I picked up running again in April, slowly, big spaces in between days. In May I went a whole week without a jog, but went out on County Road 25 a most other days; I ran for most of June (except the first week), and I've run my way through July, so far.

I know this because the Nike mile sensor on my ipod tells me so. Yesterday when I got in from a 3.9 mile run Lance Armstrong's voice came on my ipod (I almost wrote Lance Armstrong came on my ipod but that's pretty gross) and said congratulations! You've reached 250 miles! That's since Christmas when I got the new sensor. Not that great, really. But enough to keep me motivated. In those now 261.67 miles I've had 82 running workouts (only about 11 a month--that sucks, but let's face it, January through March can eat a dick) and burned 40,298 calories.

Here's why I'm feeling good about myself today, looking through the history since June:

7 June 3.2 miles
8 June 2.5 miles
11 June 2.5 miles
12 June 4.1 miles
13 June 3.2 miles
14 June 3.1 miles
17 June 3.9 miles
18 June 3.9 miles
19 June 2.4 miles
20 June 3.9 miles
21 June 2.5 miles
22 June 3.8 miles
23 June 2.1 miles
25 June 2.9 miles
26 June 3.0 miles
28 June 3.0 miles
30 June 2.9 miles
2 July 2.9 miles
[big break here for cabin time, calories consumed: 80,000]
6 July 2.9 miles
7 July 2.9 miles
8 July 2.8 miles (twice this day) and 4.3 miles
9 July 2.9 miles
11 July 2.9 miles
12 July 2.9 miles
13 July 2.9 miles
14 July 2.9 miles
15 July 2.9 miles
16 July 3.8 miles
17 July 5.6 miles

I really hope I can stick this out. I just want to wear my favorite pants again. I just want to enjoy playing dress up again. I just want to stop counting the chins in all the pictures I take. I just want to. I feel so much better that way. I am such a better person that way.

4 comments:

christina said...

Well. I suppose it's fairly ridiculous that I said aloud while reading this, GO JEANO!

But good for you, man. Good for you.

whatsthedeal said...

Nice job! Do you have a route that you run or do you just kind of go till you are tired? Its interesting that you run a different amount each day... I am too routinized for that -- I run my little 1.6 mile course and then call it quits when I reach the end of the route. I applaud you and your varietal running!

Jean said...

That list has a bunch of different routes on it---Elgin, Albertville, Green Bay, a different trail in Green Bay that I run when my friend is with her personal trainer. Mostly, my route is that 2.9 deal, though--three miles is a good 30 minute workout.

Thanks for the applause! I just hope I can keep it up! And any course is good--any routine!

I'm watching the movie Step Brothers right now, and it reminds me so much of high school Steven...I imagine that if he and I were in St. Michael and it was 10years ago we'd be laughing our asses of at this.

Chad said...

Kick ASS, Jeano. Your runs gives me an even stronger case.

Ew.