The other day we found a show called "If There Was No Moon" on the Discovery channel. Patrick Stewart narrated. If there was no Moon, he said, the Earth wouldn't have an axis. Then, a cartoon drawing of the Earth, wobbling like a top on its last couple of turns, then computer generated images of snow on the sphinx and Antarctica hot with dry, cracking soil. Then, scientists debating on where the Moon came from. Another planet? A meteor? A piece of the Earth that broke off once, before anything, when the planet was spinning and spinning and spinning?
This picture scares the shit out of me. But I can't stop staring at it:

And how does anyone walk on the Moon. How does anyone just walk around, looking at the Earth, where everything else is hanging out. Astronauts, after a stroll, go to get back into their spaceship and the engine won't turn over. It's time to go, one says, and he puts the key in the ignition, and rer-rer-rer-rer-sput. Rer-rer-rer-rer-sput. And they're stuck in space forever. I'm afraid of space. Ironic, because I'm really claustrophobic.
The Moon used to follow me to work every morning on the bus. I used to watch the Moon follow me to school every morning from Elgin. It's just hiding something. And I don't know what it is.
*
I probably should stop reading so much before I fall asleep, but what keeps me up at night includes the fact that I haven't read enough Shakespeare. That I don't know enough historical information. That I have no fucking clue how the stock market works, that people sort of "invented" how the economy would work, how money would be handled, and I can't even organize these thoughts in my head. How could anyone just figure that out? Or war strategies. How long would I have to study battlefield theory before I really got any of it?
This is like a wikipedia addiction. You look at a page, you learn something new, but it just reminds you of everything that you don't know. I don't know enough about teaching theories. This is why I have teaching nightmares every night. I don't know how much stuff I'll get with my classroom. I'm never sleeping again. How do I know that what I've learned about history is true? I mean, I just watched a show about the Boston Massacre that told me that what I thought I knew was a lie, and I didn't even know that much.
How can anybody study the Moon. How could someone say: hey, I'm pretty sure the Earth is round without having seen the pictures we've seen? Where do all of these people come from, knowing what stars are, and just figuring out how we can launch humans into space and walk in space suits on the lunar surface. How is somebody willing to be the first person to do this? It would take three years to get to Jupiter. Who is going to be the person who spends six years in outer space, and how could they ever do it without ridiculous psychological damage from isolation, and how could you land on Jupiter? It's just gotta be too fucking cold, right? I mean, the Moon gets to -150 Celsius at night.
Fuck you, rocket scientists.
2 comments:
So basically what I've gathered from this post is twofold:
1) I love you.
2) You really need to come and see me to take your mind off of deep thoughts. It freaks me out:)
Oh, so fantastic. I laughed and also kind of got chills thinking about walking back to the spaceship and having the engine not turn over. Shit. Did I leave my runners on again? Goddamn this piece of crap spaceship. I knew I should have gotten an oil change before we took off. Come on, baby, come on.
Post a Comment